Friday, April 27, 2012

D&D The Black Journal - Part 1

I'm running my first Dungeons & Dragons (v3.5) campaign as the Dungeon Master. There are four other players, and I've chosen to create my own 'homebrew' universe using the standard Greyhawk as a rough template. I've decided on inserting a magic item to the campaign during the first adventure - a small black journal. I plan to have the adventurers find it while exploring an ancient temple. In it are the writings of a nameless King who tells his story over several entries. A mysterious ring will also be found with the journal, and the players will have to read in order to discover the ring's purpose.

I'll be copying these entries by hand into an actual black book. I'm hoping the real-life prop will add a little excitement and immersion to the adventure. These are the first three entries:

  • This may be my last entry. The war goes poorly for me and my people. I write this entry on the eve of battle. My men assure me that tomorrow will prove successful, but I admit even as King I have many doubts. We are well provisioned thanks to the help of the Woodland Elves, and the bread they gave us has lasted days longer than expected. Maybe the small matter of a full stomach and a dire need to regain our foothold in this conflict is enough to bestow victory. May god be with us.
  • Victory! I write this in what used to be the battle camp of our fallen foes. The fight was long and many men were killed, but our outlook on this war has changed and I feel a sense of hope that I haven’t had since my father was alive. The enemy fought well, but they were preoccupied with a treasure guarded in this camp. Something that was to be delivered to their King: a ring which I now hold in my hand. It’s a curious artifact, and I intend to keep it as a boon for my soldiers. Something about it makes me feel at ease.
  • I’ve found some documents which reference the ring. It is magical in some way, but I’m not sure how. It’s possible that no one but its creator knows. The enemy King now seems bent on retrieving it nevertheless. It has made his tactics in this war desperate and unstable. Already we’ve been able to use this to our advantage. As long as I have his treasure, I know he’ll continue to recklessly seek it out.



EDIT: The next three entries can be found HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment